Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Lemon Caper Baked Tilapia

Good Morning!

Today I am going to give you a QUICK and EASY fish recipe:  Lemon Caper Baked Tilapia

 :)

Some of you may already know that Silas' iron is slightly low and we need to keep feeding him more iron rich foods, such as meat.  We also need to plump him up a tad.  He is a slender little fellow.  So, as advised by our pediatrician, we chose to do a delicious buttery fish dish.  He LOVED it!  Even better, it took just minutes to prepare!  Typically I will browse different sites, analyze, see what I have, take pieces from each recipe, and then throw a recipe of my own together.   Sometimes I just do my own thing and it turns out great... then I can't remember what I did the next time around.  This one on the other hand, I followed the recipe.  I just had to share because it was SO delicious!

If you would prefer the link, here it is:
Taste of Home- Baked Tilapia

Disclaimer: I do not measure my seasonings much anymore, so if I give any measurements, they are estimated to the best of my ability(for future reference).

I chose one pound of tilapia fillets(4) from Harry's Farmers Market(Whole Foods). I love that they are so knowledgeable on their meats and seafood, where they come from, mercury content, and overall quality.  Props to the gentleman in the fish department for kindly assisting me. :)

Ingredients:
1 lb. Tilapia
3 tablespoons Butter, softened
1 Lemon(or 3 tablespoons lemon juice)
1 1/2 teaspoons Garlic Powder (I love the 365 whole foods GP, it is fine, yummy, and lasts forever)
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons capers, drained
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/8 teaspoon paprika


Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Place tilapia in an ungreased 13 x 9 baking dish.
In a small bowl, combine butter, garlic powder, lemon, and salt. I am a big fan of squeezing fruit for the juice vs. buying concentrated lime or lemon juice.  I personally squeezed the entire, very juicy lemon in my bowl.
Pour the mixture over the tilapia, then sprinkle with paprika, oregano, and capers. I am 99.9% sure I used more than the suggested amounts of seasonings(since I "free-seasoned") and it turned out delicious!
Baked uncovered for 10-15 minutes, or until tilapia flakes easily with a fork.

Serve with your favorite veggie or sides. I served with peas and brown rice. Peas are fast, which is why I chose them, although they are a little higher in carbohydrates for a veggie. We also buy the bag of 365 long grain brown rice from whole foods.  It is very yummy, lasts a while, but takes about 45 minutes to cook(but doesn't require too much attention).

ENJOY!

Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment